As an animal lover I hate to see any animal in discomfort and, like me, if you are a pet owner of dogs, you have had to deal with seeing your dog distressed and in discomfort due to scratching and itchy skin. Perhaps you have been troubled by this in the past or you simply wish to know what are the best itchy dog remedies so that you can help your pets should skin itch symptoms or allergies arise in the future.
There are three options available to you. Of course you can go straight to the vet and have your dog treated for its itching. You can buy a number of proprietary of the shelf products that provide dog itchy skin treatment or if you prefer, as I do, you can learn from others who have developed a range of home remedies for dogs’ itchy skin.
Some of these home remedies for itchy dogs may not necessarily be the right solution for your dog which is itching and scratching. To determine what are the best itchy dog remedies for you and your pet it makes sense to understand a little about the condition.
The first thing to take on board is that this is not your fault. Skin itch is one of the most common health problems in dogs. I know it causes a great deal of discomfort and to your dog the only remedy is to scratch and bite sometimes even chew the skin in an attempt to find relief.
Itchy skin in dogs can be a symptom and a result of skin conditions such as bacterial infections, allergies, yeast, or skin parasites for example. Apart from not wanting to see your dog suffer never leave this itching condition untreated because you run the risk of it spreading to other areas of the skin.
I want to focus on home remedies for itchy dog skin but if some of the solutions that have worked for me (or should I say my dogs) and for others don’t work for you or bring your dogs only temporary relief then please seek the advice of your local vet as soon as possible.
Before looking at specific home remedies, I hope this goes without saying but never use human beauty products on your pet dog such as shampoos and skin lotions, as these products can harm your pet. Natural and holistic remedies continue to prove most efficacious in relieving itchy skin in your dogs. Salts, herbs and homeopathic ingredients are all safe to use without any unwanted and discomforting side effects.
Let’s look at some of the best itchy dog remedies.
* When you live in a country where it is likely that your dog will have to put up with extremely hot weather conditions, it makes a great deal of sense to remove any excess hair and keep your pet well groomed during those hot weeks and months. These hot and sometimes humid conditions can lead to itching and infection from parasites, sweating too much, and even fungal growth.
* Related to the above and hot weather, giving your dog a cooling bath is an highly effective itchy dog remedy. Many add some Epsom salts to the bath water which seems to improve the overall efficacy but just make sure your dog doesn’t drink it!
* One itchy dog home remedy I had not heard about before but I have been assured is very effective is the combination of aspirin with rubbing alcohol. You prepare two mixtures – one by mixing aspirin in rubbing alcohol and the other mixture of tea and water. Gently apply these mixtures over the infected areas using cotton swabs or balls.
* On the subject of cooling baths and cold water there are two other home remedies you can try. If the itching and scratching is the symptom of am allergy it is vitally important to find out what is causing the allergic reaction. However by adding oatmeal to a cold bath will really help with your dog’s itching. Also try adding some baking soda to cold water and bathe the infected areas to soothe your dog’s itchy skin and give it some welcome relief.
* I have also found that with your dog’s diet there are a couple of oils you can add to your pet’s food and when ingested will provide an effective itchy dog remedy by improving its immune system. The first oil which is readily available is fish oil. The second oil which may surprise you is emu oil. This has proved to be effective against severe forms of itchy skin in dogs and you should be able to find it in the larger pet shops and definitely online.
Those are just a few easy to follow and very inexpensive home remedies for itchy dog skin. There are probably other ideas that will work equally well. However, some of the suggestions above to tackle itching and scratching are not just reactive in curing the dog itchy skin when it occurs. Some of the best dog itchy skin remedies are when you are proactive and take care of your pet such as cleaning and grooming as well as following good dietary practices.